Body Lift in Akron, OH
Some people seem to have only one problem area of the body while others are plagued with several different ones. The aging process, sun exposure, or significant weight loss can lead to an all-over sagging appearance that could benefit from cosmetic surgery. In Green and Beachwood, OH, Carp Cosmetic Surgery Center is known for providing body lift procedures in a safe and compassionate atmosphere for patients throughout the Canton, Cleveland and Akron areas.
When a person has a body that is well toned and has smooth contours, this is often a sign that he or she exercises and eats a healthy diet. However, regardless of how much people exercise, they are not always able to achieve the fitness results they want. Some of the things that can contribute to sagging in the thighs, abdomen, upper arms, and buttocks are pregnancy, aging, sun damage, and fluctuations in weight. Also, genetic factors can contribute to poor skin elasticity.
On this web page, you will learn all of the basics about the body lift procedure. However, the best way for you to fulfill your personal goals through body contouring is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Carp.
What Is a Body Lift?
A body lift is a surgical procedure that can remove loose and sagging skin and improve irregular body contours. The procedure can help these areas:
- The upper arms, including areas around the armpit
- The thighs, which include the outer, inner, or posterior thighs
- The abdominal area, including the “love handles”
- The groin, which may sag into the lower thigh
- The buttocks, which may be flat, unevenly shaped, or sagging
The body lift procedure will improve the underlying tissue that supports the skin. This procedure can also help to improve an irregular skin surface, such as dimples and cellulite. In a case where skin elasticity is poor, the body lift procedure in addition to liposuction may be needed.
The body lift procedure may be considered by people whose weight does not fluctuate. Their weight should be reasonably proportionate for their body type and height. Also, women who are considering having children in the future may want to wait until after their pregnancy to have a body lift.
Adults of any age can be candidates for the body lift procedure. However, the best candidates are individuals who
- Do not smoke;
- Have specific fitness and body shaping goals, as well as a positive outlook;
- Are healthy and do not have any serious medical conditions that would make surgery unnecessarily risky or impair healing; and
- Have a significant amount of loose soft tissue.
Where Do I Begin?
The first step you should take is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Carp. During the consultation, you will be able to learn more about the body lift procedure without being pressured to make a decision. The consultation will include the following:
- An evaluation of your specific case and physical goals
- A presentation of all the available body lift procedures
- A discussion of what the likely outcome will be as well as any potential complications or risks
- An outline of the full course of treatment recommended by Dr. Carp
Body Lift Evaluation
When it comes to body lifts and body contouring surgery, overall good health and a positive outlook on life can have a serious impact on the results a person sees. These things will be carefully evaluated during your first consultation. For you to have a safe and successful procedure, you will need to do the following:
- Be honest about your feelings and expectations
- Give full disclosure of your health history, including medications, herbal supplements, and vitamins you take, as well your use of tobacco, alcohol, and drugs
- Commit to following all of the instructions provided by Dr. Carp
Your Body Lift
The body lift procedure will be individualized to treat your specific needs. Some of the conditions that can be improved by means of this procedure include the following:
- Loose skin
- Excess tissue and fat
- Uneven or dimpled skin
- Sagging in certain areas of the body
A variety of conditions can cause the skin to become weak and lose its firmness, which results in sagging and uneven soft tissue. Some of these conditions include the following:
- Pregnancy, which can place a lot of stress on the skin and underlying tissue
- Weight fluctuations and substantial weight loss, similar to what may occur after gastric bypass surgery
- The aging process, which causes the skin and tissue underneath it to lose elasticity over time
- Obesity during childhood and the teenage years that causes the skin to prematurely lose its tone
- A person’s genetic makeup, which determines their body type and the condition of their skin
The body lift procedure is extremely effective in restoring appearance, skin tone, and body shape. This surgical procedure may require extensive incisions. The length and pattern will depend on where the skin and fat will be removed as well as factors such as a person’s personal preference and Dr. Carp’s judgment. Techniques can be used to place incisions in areas that can be hidden by clothing and bathing suits.
Other procedures can be combined with a body lift procedure during the same session or separately, such as tummy tuck, breast lift, breast reduction, and liposuction. Your specific case will be evaluated during your consultation to see if you are a good candidate for combined procedures.
Preparing for Body Lift Surgery
Before surgery, Dr. Carp will give you specific instructions that include the following:
- A list of diagnostic testing procedures and medications that are needed before surgery
- Instructions and medications that will be needed on the day of surgery
- Information about anesthesia
- Instructions on post-operative care and follow-up visits
What to Expect from a Body Lift
The body lift procedure usually requires the individual to be under general anesthesia. At times, local anesthesia along with sedation can be used. Dr. Carp will make this decision based on your specific needs. Dr. Carp, and all of the other individuals who assist him, will make you feel comfortable and ensure your safety during the procedure.
Following Body Lift Surgery
Once the surgery has been completed, bandages and dressings will likely be applied to the incisions that were made. You may also be wrapped in elastic bandages that will help to support your new figure and minimize swelling as your body heals. Also, a few thin tubes may be placed under the skin to help drain any excess fluid that may build up. Before you are released, you and a caregiver will be given exact instructions that will include the following:
- Medications that can aid in healing and reduce pain and infection risks
- Instructions on how to care for the surgical site and drainage tubes
- Information related to any specific concerns you may have
- When to return for a follow-up visit
How Much Does a Body Lift Cost?
Body lifts are considered to be elective, so most insurance providers won’t cover the costs. To help make body lifts affordable and accessible for everyone, Carp Cosmetic Surgery Center offers financing options. We also accept cash, personal checks, and major credit cards.
Progress and Healing
At first, there will be swelling where the incisions were made. Medication can be used to control discomfort. You will be given exact instructions on when you can begin walking. This will help to reduce the risk of complications such as blood clots.
It is important to avoid lifting heavy objects, bending over, and straining your muscles for a few weeks. It is likely that you will need to sleep with your knees elevated. It is important to follow all of these instructions carefully, as doing so will ensure a successful outcome. Usually, a person will be able to return to all normal activity within about two or three weeks after surgery.
The incision will usually take approximately 7 to 14 days to heal. Around that time, sutures may be removed. Most individuals are ready to resume normal activity and go back to work after a few weeks. However, they will still need to avoid vigorous exercise and heavy lifting.
The healing process will continue over the next few weeks. Swelling will go down, and the areas where incisions were made will continue to improve. It is important to protect yourself from the sun during this time. Be diligent about following all of Dr. Carp’s specific instructions and go back for all scheduled follow-up visits.
Body Lift Results and Outlook
It will take a couple of months for your body to heal fully. However, the results will be visible almost right away. The incision lines will remain, but they will fade over time.
As long as you maintain your weight and are concerned about general fitness, your new body contours will be long lasting. Most of the improvement that has been made by means of the body lift procedure will stay intact.
A body lift procedure performed by Dr. Steven Carp at his Green and Beachwood, OH facilities can help you appear more toned from head to toe with only a single surgery. To find out more, patients from Canton, Cleveland and Akron should contact the clinics to schedule a consultation.